Your Library Card

How can I get a library card? 

Residents of Belleville and rural portions of Dane and Green County may obtain a library card at the Belleville Public Library. The card issued by the Belleville Public Library is free.

Apply for a Card

Download and fill out this Library Card Application Form and bring it to the library with your current ID and proof of address.

O puede descargar y completar este Formulario de solicitud de tarjeta de biblioteca y traerlo a la biblioteca con su identificación actual y comprobante de domicilio.

Once you have a library card, it will give you access to ebooks in Overdrive or Libby, or to browse our other online resources.

When applying for a library card, we need to ask three things:

  • Do you have a library card from another library?
  • Do you have photo I.D.?
  • Do you have proof of current residence?

A driver's license with current address is the easiest way to apply. If you do not have that, we will accept a photo ID, plus one of the following:

  • A checkbook with your name and current address printed on it.
  • A current lease with your name and address on it.
  • A piece of current mail only if the envelope has your name, current address and a postmark dated within the last 30 days.

If your identification has a P.O. Box or business address listed, you still must show proof of your current home address (residence).

Can I apply for a card at the Belleville Public Library even if I don't live in Belleville?

Yes, portions of Dane and Green County are served by the Belleville Public Library. If you live in Montrose Township, Primrose Township, Oregon Township, Exeter Township, Brooklyn Township, or the Village of Brooklyn, you may apply for a card at the Belleville Public Library.

If you live outside of this area, but still within the South Central Library System area (includes Adams, Columbia, Dane, Green, Portage, Sauk, and Wood counties) and do not have a library card from your local library, we can help you apply for one.

Where can I use my library card? 

You may use your Belleville Public Library card at any of the 64 South Central Library System (SCLS) libraries. Materials borrowed at any of these libraries can be returned at the Belleville Public Library. Likewise, materials borrowed at Belleville may be returned at any of the other SCLS libraries.

How old must a child be to have their own card?

We do not have a minimum age limit for issuing library cards to children. However, the child’s parent or legal guardian must sign the application taking financial responsibility for materials checked out on the card, including replacing lost, damaged, or stolen items and paying overdue fines issued by other libraries. We do ask that children’s cards be used only to check out children’s materials.

What should I do if I lose my card? 

If your card is lost or stolen, report it immediately to the Belleville Public Library, 424-1812, or your nearest local library. If your card is presented for checkout before you report it lost or stolen, you are responsible for all the materials checked out on it. If a card has been lost or stolen and you wish to receive a replacement card, you must show ID in person at the Belleville Public Library. There is currently no fee to replace a lost card.

I've moved, do I need to contact the library?

Yes, please notify us of the change so your records can be updated.

Also, please notify us if your telephone number or email address has changed.