COVID-19 Outbreak Information
Coronavirus and Library Materials
Belleville Public Library and other libraries in the South Central Library System have extended the amount of time that we quarantine library items from 72 hours (3 days) to 96 hours (four days) based on recent research by Battelle Laboratory on the lifespan of coronavirus on common library materials. For more information, read about the REALM project.
Round I of the testing showed that the SARS-CoV-2 virus was not detectable after three days on hardback book covers, softback book covers, plain paper pages inside a closed book, plastic book covers, and DVD cases.
The recently completed Round 2 testing found that after four days of quarantine in a stacked condition, the virus was not detectable on braille paper pages, glossy paper book pages and children's board books. Magazine pages showed a trace amount at four days. Testing was conducted under standard office temperature and relative humidity conditions.
Please do not disinfect library materials. If you are concerned, allow a few extra days of quarantine time before using them.
- Statewide Face Mask Mandate 7/30/2020
- Indoor Face Mask Mandate 7/7/2020
- Public Health Dane County Madison Order 7/7/2020
- Dane County Issues New Order 7/2/2020
- Badger Bounce Back 4/20/20
- Madison and Dane County Launching Plan to Reopen Economy in Phases 5/19/2020
- Dane County Public Health Business Reopening Metrics 5/18/2020
- WEDC Reopen Guidelines for Businesses